First, Forrest Bathing does not require you to get naked in the forrest. Odds are that is illegal in most parts of the country anyway.
Forrest Bathing DOES require you to chill out and connect with nature - probably something most of us could use right now. Forrest Bathing is not a new form of therapy - but it is trending right now on social media.
What is Forrest Bathing?
Forrest bathing is simply connecting with nature in a way that goes beyond walking in the woods - it's allowing nature (and only nature) to fully consume you.
Forrest bathing doesn't involve hiking - actually, you are aiming to do the opposite of a strenuous activity. The goal is to be as quiet, light-footed and calm as possible. Whether you are in an actual forrest, remote destination, or quiet city park anyone who can surround themselves with pure nature - can start forrest bathing to unwind and achieve natures bliss.
How to start Forrest Bathing
• Leave your bathing suit at home and dress in comfortable clothes and comfortable shoes (some choose no shoes to better connect with nature).
• Find a destination where you can be completely surrounded by nature - away from manmade structures and the sound of traffic or other people.
• Before heading into the "forrest" (or woods, park) - all phones and electronics should be put on silent - or left behind.
• Settle upon a peaceful location to stand, sit, or lie down, and relax.
• Take deep breaths, relax your body and mind. Focus only on your surrounding (not your to-do list).
• Focus on one simple thing such as the way the trees move, leaves falling, or water flowing.
• Walk or move slowly in your immediate area to further explore the specific items that surround you.
• Continue to walk and explore or simply stay and meditate.
Benefits of Forrest Bathing
It's no secret that spending time in nature has health benefits such as stress-relief and better blood flow. The simple act of calming your mind and getting away from the hustle can reset your body and mind. Forest bathing is simply taking the act of an outdoor walk one step further by encouraging you to be in tune with your surroundings and loose focus of thoughts on your mind.
Forrest Bathing essentially helps you train you to disconnect from stress and distractions in life, focus your mind, and bring peace to your body and soul.